15 December 2007

Cold Sores and Shingles

Today I noticed, what might be the start of a cold sore. I have only recently started to suffer with these. I always keep a pot of L-Lysine handy, so I began a course this morning, along with increasing vitamin C (2 - 3 MG per day and more if I thing a cold is coming on). L-Lysine is an amino acid, which is used to kill off the zoster virus in cold sores and shingles. Stress is a causative factor, as the virus takes a hold when the body is below par, which is why cold sores develop when you also have a cold. I regularly take multi-vitamins and echinacea to improve my immune system and support my liver in the cleansing process. I cut down on the sugars in my diet and drink lots of water (at least 8 full glasses per day - 2 litres).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had my first experience of shingles last week - very disconcerting. You are quite right, though - I'm feeling very stressed and below par, but they've disappeared now, which I can only put down to the fact that I'm off work for a week!