23 October 2010

Green and Co. Scarf

Wow, I've just been introduced to the craft of felting and have made this lovely scarf. In essence it was easy, though time consuming and quite tiring on the arms.


I bought 3 silk scarves from a little shop in Moffat, on the boarders of Scotland, at the end of August this year. I talked to the lady about using them in a feltmaking class and said I would send her a photo of the result, which I did.


If you are interested then read on for the Method...


• I cut 1 square scarf into 4 strips. 2 strips for each makeover.
• Tacked the 2 rough ends lightly together making 1 long scarf.
• Placed the material on some bubblewrap and old towels.
• Using marino wool in matching colours I teased out pieces to lay all along the length top & bottom.
• I then tucked this undernieth and teased out another layer of coloured wool over the top.
• I placed a light layer of wool under and over the join to hide the tacking stiches.
• A length of net curtain over the top.
• The next stage is to sprinkle a generous amount of soapy water or plain water rubber over with a bar of soap.
• Rubbing up a lather and helping the wool to knit with the silk.
• Add more water or soap as requried.
• Then the work is rolled up, with the bubble wrap but not the towel, onto a rolling pin or leg of an old stool!
• A couple of elastic bands to hold it all together.
• Rolling back and forth about 100 times.
• Unroll and check to see how well the wool is attaching to the silk.
• Roll up again and roll back and forth another 100 times!
• By this time arms are aching and have worked up quite a sweat!
• When happy that it is fixing together, unroll and remove the work from the other materials.
• Rinse it out and remove much of the soap.
• Next the fun bit...
• Scrunch it up and through it down onto the towel.
• The wool will shrink and the silk will gather.
• Keep doing this until again you are happy with the shrinkage.
• Leave to dry fairly flat.

Voala!

It took me 2 morning workshops to complete this scarf. I have not made another yet.


Make 2 per day and you could sell them at craft fairs and have muscles like PopEye!



Do you think you would get paid for the labour involved?

I think not! I was great fun though.

No comments: