23 October 2010

Cyril the Caterpillar

I got the idea for Cyril the Caterpillar from a magazine, but the owner of the magazine took it with them, so I made it up from the visual memory. 

He's very simple to make.  Just casting on 30 stitches and knitting around 20 rows for each colour.  Each section of his body was done in a different stitch pattern. 

Knitting straight until all eight sections were complete.  I stitched him up like a sausage, only stopping at each change of colour to stuff and pull in to produce the shaping.  I used old buttons for eyes and nose and crocheted on a tonge.  I could have stitched on a smile instead.  However, I like the cheeky look.  I found a load of white dufflecoat toggles and used these for his feet.  He feels good to hold and is quite floppy.  His feet clatter about on hard surfaces.  I have made a few more which have sold on our craft stall.

I do like Cyril, but don't really know what I will do with him.  He is currently crawling along the top and over the edge of my wardrobe, while watching me type this blog right now!

No comments: